By Matt Shealy
Published: March 27, 2009
While decoys increase chances, they can also increase danger. Today’s decoys are very real looking and can draw fire from unknowing hunters.
When using decoys, be sure to:
* Never transport decoys uncovered. Many of the new decoys fold up for easy storage in turkey vests.
* Always set up against a tree that is taller than your head and wider than your shoulders.
* Establish a clear line of vision for at least 100 yards and then set up the decoys 20 yards from your position on the line.
* If you see another hunter, call out in a loud, clear voice to alert them to your position.
* Always check carefully that no one is stalking your decoys before leaving your position.