Bobberthon Fishing Tournament Begins Sat. April 16th!
By Georgia DNR, Wildlife Resources Division
Published: April 14, 2011
Your chance at fun and prizes awaits you if you choose to participate in the 2nd Georgia Bobberthon fishing tournament! Bobberthon is a tournament at which registered anglers have approximately two months to catch tagged bream in any of four public fishing area lakes. The angler then must register their tag(s). These first few steps guarantee a reward – but then even more prizes are available at the Grand Bobberthon Tournament!
“When I first introduced the concept of trying to showcase our wonderful resources and public assets in the form of a fishing tournament to then former Gov. Sonny Perdue and he then let me extend that idea to the Department of Natural Resources and to the Department of Economic Development, I had no idea about the success it would have,” says Rep. Jimmy Pruett, who continues to support this event. “The enthusiasm and interest by participants and the staff involved is exciting, especially as we go into the second year of this event. I also am confident that we can continue to see the event grow annually.”
Quick Tournament Details
• Registration: Interested anglers MUST register at a participating vendor (list found online at http://www.georgiabobberthon.com ). Registration is available through June 11, 2011.
• Fishing Locations: Once registered, anglers can fish at one or more of four public fishing area lakes (Dodge County, Ocmulgee, Hugh Gillis and Flat Creek) that have tagged bream. The tags are purple and say “Bobberthon.”
• Tag Reporting: If an angler catches a tagged bream, they need to remove the tag from the fish (whether keeping the fish or releasing it) and return and register the tag at any of the same participating vendors (same as registration) by June 11, 2011.
• Tournament Dates: Dates to catch a tagged bream are April 16 – June 11, 2011. Anglers that catch and report a tagged bream during that time are guaranteed a prize. They then also are eligible to participate in the Grand Bobberthon Tournament on June 25, 2011.
• Prizes: Prizes could be anything from hats/t-shirts to larger prizes like cash, boats or trips. As prizes are secured, they will be listed on the Bobberthon website.
The event is a collaborative effort between the Georgia Department of Natural Resources/Wildlife Resources Division, Georgia Department of Economic Development and five local communities (Bleckley, Houston, Dodge, Laurens and Pulaski).
For more information about Bobberthon, visit http://www.georgiabobberthon.com .