Help Fight Hunger Through “Drop-Back-A-Pack” Campaign
By Georgia DNR, Wildlife Resources Division
Published: September 8, 2011
Since 1993, hunters have been bringing meat to the tables of those in need through the Georgia Hunters for the Hungry program. Through this successful program, hunters have donated enough venison to serve more than 1.5 million meals. This year, hunters are asked to give a portion of their processed deer through the “Drop-Back-a-Pack” campaign at one of 12 participating processors through Jan. 15, 2012.
“The Georgia Hunters for the Hungry program is one opportunity for hunters to demonstrate their generosity by sharing their harvest with those in need,” said John W. Bowers, Wildlife Resources Division assistant chief of Game Management. “The Division is proud to be a cooperator in this public-private partnership and to work with the many partners who make it possible each year.”
In a change from the past, rather than bringing in a whole field-dressed deer to donate, hunters are asked to donate a portion (“a pack”) of their processed deer. Hunters are welcome to give as many processed “packs” as they can provide. For those that can’t donate a pack, the program welcomes dollar donations to help support the efforts (donate at http://www.gwf.org). All hunters who donate a “pack” during this collection period will be entered into a drawing for a deer rifle, sponsored by the Georgia Wildlife Federation.
The following 12 processor locations are accepting deer now through Jan. 15, 2012 during business hours:
• Lee’s Meat Processing (461 Dove Ln Axson) 912.422.3079
• JJs Deer Processing (974 Ga Hwy 105 Baldwin) 706.776.2819
• Daffin Meat Processing (4100 River Rd Columbus) 706.322.8848
• Mossy Creek Outdoors (2788 Americus Hwy Dawson) 229.995.4109
• Barlow’s Meat Processing (1692 Milan-Eastman Rd Eastman) 478.374.5614
• Starley’s Deer Processing (190 George Hatcher Rd Irwinton) 478.946.8976
• Sealey’s Deer Cooler (5675 South Apple Valley Rd Jefferson) 706.335.9304
• Lee Processing (105 Hwy 377 Leesburg) 229.759.2869
• Wright’s Processing (126 Wright Dr NE Milledgville) 478.452.4228
• K&K Processing (6749 Good Hope Rd Naylor) 229.269.5557
• Garner’s Grinder (18630 Hwy 16 Sparta) 706.444.9228
• Stewart’s Quality Meats, Inc. (204 Washington St Vidalia) 912.537.9888
Wildlife Resources, along with the Georgia Department of Corrections, Georgia Department of Agriculture, Georgia Wildlife Federation and the Georgia State Association of Food Banks sponsor the program.
For more information on donating food to those in need during other times of the year, call the Atlanta Community Food Bank at (404) 892-FEED. For more information on the GHFTH program, visit http://www.gohuntgeorgia.com , http://www.gwf.org , contact a WRD Game Management office or call (770) 761-3045.